Sky journalist: Newcastle table £15m bid for top-flight striker as Benitez homes in on number one target
Newcastle have made a second bid of £15million for Feyenoord striker Nicolai Jorgensen, according to a Sky Sports journalist.
Keith Downie, the Sky Sports north-east correspondent, announced the amount of the second bid on his personal Twitter page on Friday morning.
He also said that the bid had been rejected with the club holding out for “at least” £20million.
Understand the second Newcastle bid for Nicolai Jorgensen knocked back by Feyenoord was for £15m. The Dutch club holding out for at least £5m more.
— Keith Downie (@SkySports_Keith) January 26, 2018
This comes after the Daily Mail claimed in their live transfer blog on Wednesday [01:52pm] that Newcastle had made a first bid of £14million, which was also rejected.
Benitez had reportedly switched to Jorgsensen as his number one January target after Leicester said they wanted £20million for Islam Slimani.
Football Insider verdict:
The good news for Newcastle fans is that their club is getting closer to Feyenoord’s valuation of their striker. The bad news is that the second bid is only a little bigger than the first and is still a way off the £20m Feyenoord want. Fans will be seeing parallels with Arsene Wenger’s notoriously tight negotiations – and they never seem to end well. It doesn’t seem that Feyenoord want to lose Jorgensen and so it seems unlikely that they’ll let him leave unless Newcastle stump up the full £20million.
In other Newcastle United transfer news, the club are just £1.25million away from securing the signing of an international star.