Sources: Another Liverpool first-team star out for the season in devastating blow
Liverpool have been left reeling as Joe Gomez is set to join Virgil van Dijk in missing the rest of the season, Football Insider has learned.
The Merseysiders’ delivered a relatively upbeat bulletin on the England defender today, claiming his knee operation in London this morning was a “success” and it “is likely to rule him out for a significant part of the remainder of 2020-21”.
Privately, Liverpool do not expect manager Jurgen Klopp to be able to call upon Gomez this season.
An Anfield source has told Football Insider that the centre-back has had surgery on the patella tendon in his left knee.
It rules him out for the rest of the domestic season, rather than just most of it, and the best he is said to be able to hope for is a return at the European Championships next summer.
It is a devastating blow for Gomez, who missed eight months with an anterior cruciate ligament injury in 2015, as well as Liverpool.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
The Merseysiders are already without Van Dijk for the rest of the campaign after he ruptured his ACL against Everton last month.
The Premier League champions have also been without Fabinho, who had been deputising in defence for Van Dijk, because of a hamstring injury.
Additionally, Liverpool have an injury concern over right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold, who was taken off during the 1-1 draw at Manchester City on Sunday and withdrawn from England duty.
The only senior specialist centre-back currently fit is Joel Matip, who has a history of niggling injuries.
Liverpool youngsters Nathaniel Phillips and Rhys Williams have made sound impressions when filling in alongside Gomez in recent weeks.