By Wayne Veysey

5th Oct, 2021 | 12:34pm

Sources: Burnley to open talks with Pope after deal agreed last month

Burnley are set to open new contract talks with Nick Pope, Football Insider can exclusively reveal.

The giant goalkeeper, who has just lost his place in the England squad, is in the final two years of his current deal.

A Burnley source has told Football Insider that the club are lining up an offer to Pope, 29, as they look to tie him down long-term.

The Clarets have made it a priority to tie down their key stars to new deals after manager Sean Dyche signed a new four-year agreement last month. 

The 50-year-old, who is the Premier League’s longest-serving boss, said he had a “strong affinity” for the club upon the signing of his deal.

Pope’s current contract expires in the summer of 2023.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

The shot-stopper kept his first clean sheet of this season against Norwich on Saturday, after conceding 11 in his first six league games this term.

Pope joined Burnley in 2016 after their promotion from the Championship.

He made the move to Lancashire from Charlton as part of a double swoop which also saw Johann Berg Gudmundsson join the Clarets.

The 29-year-old has seven England caps but was overlooked by manager Gareth Southgate as he picked his squad to face Andorra and Hungary this month.

The Three Lions boss instead selected West Brom’s Sam Johnstone, Everton’s Jordan Pickford, and Arsenal’s Aaron Ramsdale.

James Tarkowski, Ben Mee and Ashley Barnes are among some of Burnley’s stars whose deals are set to expire next summer.

However, the club have the option to extend the deals of Barnes and Mee for a further year.

The Lancashire side are without a league win so far this season and currently sit 18th in the Premier League table.

In other news, this ex-Prem referee has vindicated Dyche’s explosive comments following Saturday’s game.