Sources: Chelsea wait in the wings to swoop for Rayan Cherki
Chelsea are primed to join the race for Lyon sensation Rayan Cherki in 2024, sources have told Football Insider.
Football Insider revealed on Monday (6 November) that Man United and Newcastle are keeping tabs on the highly-rated 20-year-old ahead of a possible swoop.
A well-placed source has told Football Insider that both Man United and Newcastle feel Cherki could be a shrewd signing and see him as a “potential star in the making”.
Chelsea have also long been linked with the youngster, and it is believed they could enter the fight for his signature next year if the opportunity arises.
That is despite the Blues being well-stocked in the attacking midfield area – especially following the summer arrival of standout performer Cole Palmer from Man City.
Their well-publicised policy of signing young talents under the age of 25 could mean a deal for Cherki is too good to ignore.
The Blues also have Christopher Nkunku and Carney Chukwuemeka to come back from injury in an attacking midfield role.
Cherki, who is enduring a tough season with last-place Lyon in Ligue 1, is out of contract at his boyhood club in June 2025.
He has notched one assist in 10 appearances in the 2023-24 campaign so far.
The 20-year-old is also a regular feature for Thierry Henry’s France Under-21 side and has grabbed four goals and three assists in their last three qualifiers.
He can play in attacking midfield as well as on both flanks – and despite his tender age, has already racked up 112 appearances across all competitions for Lyon, contributing 14 goals and 17 assists.
Chelsea beat Tottenham 4-1 on Monday (6 November) to go 10th in the Premier League.
Mauricio Pochettino’s side are next in action against Man City on Sunday (12 November).
In other news, club ready offer for Chelsea defender after exit twist.