Sources: Everton could now axe Steinsson as bloodletting intensifies
The bloodletting is set to intensify at Everton and head of recruitment Gretar Rafn Steinsson could be the next high-profile exit, Football Insider can exclusively reveal.
The Merseysiders announced on Sunday night (5 December) that Brands was leaving the club three-and-a-half years after his arrival.
An Everton source has told Football Insider that Benitez now wants Steinsson to go as he looks to take full control of recruitment going into the January window.
The Spaniard won his power struggle with Brands and wants to consolidate his powerbase further by outing Steinsson.
It is said by the source that Benitez has an even lower opinion of Steinsson than he does of Brands.
The former Iceland international, 39, joined Everton as chief European scout in December 2018 before being promoted to head of recruitment in October 2019.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
The major overhaul behind the scenes comes ahead of the Merseysiders’ Premier League clash against Arsenal tonight (6 December).
Football Insider broke the news last Wednesday (1 December) that either Brands or Benitez were in line to be sacked by the end of last week if the club lost the Merseyside derby.
Owner Farhad Moshiri subsequently publicly backed Benitez and Brands was sacked on Sunday night, 48 hours after this site revealed he was “90 per cent likely” to get the boot.
Benitez has been told by Moshiri he will be given money to spend in January although the club must still operate within financial restrictions.