Sources: Everton make Abdoulaye Doucoure appeal decision after sending-off
Abdoulaye Doucoure is set to serve a three-match ban with Everton opting not to appeal his red card against Tottenham, sources have told Football Insider.
The 30-year-old was sent off in the 58th minute of the sides’ 1-1 draw on Monday evening after pushing Harry Kane in the face during a heated exchange on the touchline.
The Spurs striker fell immediately to the floor following Doucoure’s shove – a reaction that was later criticised by Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher.
The former Liverpool defender said: “I don’t think there’s nowhere near enough to [make] you go down, and if I’d done that on a pitch I’d be embarrassed.”
However, despite Kane’s role in Doucoure‘s dismissal, Football Insider understands that the Toffees have no plans to lodge an appeal with the FA in an attempt to avoid a standard three-match ban being handed down.
The Merseyside club believe there is little prospect of the sanction being overturned, a fact effectively acknowledged by manager Sean Dyche at full-time.
Get Exclusive transfers news at Football Insider's YouTube TV channel
“You can’t lay hands on an opponent. We know that,” he told reporters.
“The only disappointment is that I couldn’t understand why Harry went into the initial challenge with Dimi (Demarai Gray) because the ref had already blown his whistle.”
Doucoure will now miss visits to Manchester United and Crystal Palace either side of a Goodison Park clash with Fulham.
The midfielder would likely have started all three games having been an ever-present during the improved run of form that has followed Dyche’s arrival.
His chances of convincing Everton to trigger a one-year option contained in his contract may also have been harmed by his absence for three key fixtures in their battle against relegation from the Premier League.
In other news, Everton are ‘relaxed’ and confident they have done nothing wrong financially despite being referred for FFP breaches.