Sources: Liverpool now turn attention to signing full-back in surprise twist
Liverpool have turned their attention to signing a new senior right-back this summer, sources have told Football Insider.
Jurgen Klopp has used longstanding first choice right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold in an inverted role over the last two matches that sees him push into midfield.
The Reds boss is believed to be keen to utilise Alexander-Arnold in the midfield more often and feels the side need to add another full-back in order to do that.
As quoted by the Liverpool Echo (10 April), Klopp said that his will need to “get used to” using the 24-year-old in the inverted full-back position more often.
It represents something of a surprise given that Klopp has previously hailed Alexander-Arnold as the “best right-back in Europe” and recently insisted he is a “world class” defender.
The Merseysiders are preparing for a massive overhaul of the midfield ahead of the upcoming window.
Get Exclusive transfers news at Football Insider's YouTube TV channel
After having ruled themselves out of the race to sign Borussia Dortmund star Jude Bellingham due to the price, the Reds have turned their attention to cheaper, more feasible alternatives.
On Tuesday (18 April), Football Insider revealed that the Liverpool board have prepared and approved a contract for Chelsea star Mason Mount as a deal to sign the England international edges closer.
Earlier this month (7 April), sources told this site that the Reds are also pushing to sign Wolves midfielder Matheus Nunes and could land him for £50million after a release clause was removed from his contract.
Klopp is also set of offload midfielders this summer, with Fabio Carvalho the latest name that could be out the door this summer.
The club have given the 20-year-old the green light to leave on loan or on a permanent basis at the end of the season.
In other news, Liverpool prepared to make new move for Dortmund star after summit talks.