Sources: Major update on Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg's Tottenham future
Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg’s Tottenham future is in doubt ahead of the January transfer window, sources have told Football Insider.
Hojbjerg, 28, came close to leaving Spurs for Fulham in the most recent summer window before the deal collapsed at the eleventh hour.
Football Insider revealed on 6 September that Tottenham blocked a possible out-of-window move for the midfielder to Turkey or Saudi Arabia.
It is believed the Lilywhites wanted to find a replacement for the Denmark international before allowing him to move on.
A well-placed source has told Football Insider that his future remains “up in the air” as January approaches.
Hojbjerg has featured sparingly under new boss Ange Postecoglou so far this season, making just two starts across all competitions.
He has made regular substitute cameos, but his involvement is nowhere near the level it was under former managers Jose Mourinho and Antonio Conte.
The ex-Southampton man is under contract in north London until June 2025.
Pape Matar Sarr and Yves Bissouma have enjoyed a resurgence under Postecoglou, while Rodrigo Bentancur is closing in on full fitness after a long spell out with a knee ligament injury.
Hojbjerg has racked up 10 goals and 16 assists across 156 total appearances for Tottenham since joining in 2020.
But with Spurs eyeing reinforcements in January, the midfielder could be the one to make way to make space for new arrivals.
Football Insider revealed on Monday (6 November) that Tottenham are keen to sign a centre-back and defensive midfielder in the new year.
In other news, Fabio Paratici still “pulling all the strings” at Tottenham.