Sources: Major update on West Ham move for Dominic Solanke
West Ham are exploring a potential move for AFC Bournemouth star Dominic Solanke in the final weeks of the summer window, sources have told Football Insider.
Football Insider revealed on Monday (7 August) that the Irons are set to step up their pursuit of a prolific striker with Gianluca Scamacca set to complete his move to Atalanta.
It is believed new director of football Tim Steidten and manager David Moyes are in agreement about the need to add a new forward despite tension over other parts of the recruitment plan.
The duo have earmarked Solanke as a potential target with the start of the 2023-24 Premier League season just days away.
However, a well-placed source has told Football Insider that West Ham and Bournemouth are unlikely to be able to find a suitable fee for the 25-year-old’s transfer.
That is despite the Irons raking in a British-record fee for captain Declan Rice when he moved to Arsenal earlier this summer.
Moyes’ side have also faced problems in negotiations with Southampton – with several bids for their captain, James Ward-Prowse, so far proving unsuccessful.
Solanke, who is under contract until June 2026, notched seven goals and seven assists for Bournemouth last season as they secured Premier League survival.
The one-time England international showed his lethal touch in the previous campaign as the Cherries were promoted from the Championship, scoring 30 goals in 49 games across all competitions.
He came through the ranks at Chelsea but moved to Liverpool on a free transfer in 2017.
However, the forward managed just 27 senior appearances for the Merseysiders and left Anfield for Bournemouth in a reported £19million move back in 2019.
West Ham’s top scorer last term was 33-year-old Michail Antonio, who managed 14 goals in all competitions.
The Irons start their Premier League campaign against Bournemouth and Solanke on Saturday (12 August).
In other news, West Ham working on £60m double deal.