Sources: Newcastle United told £60m bid would seal Marc Guehi deal
Newcastle United are interested in a potential summer move for Crystal Palace star Marc Guehi, sources have told Football Insider.
Magpies boss Eddie Howe is keen to bolster his side after securing Champions League qualification for the upcoming season.
He wants more strength in depth as Newcastle look to build on the fourth-place finish achieved in the 2022-23 campaign.
Guehi, 22, has been identified as a potential target for the Tynesiders after another stellar season at Crystal Palace.
However, it is believed the south London side are asking for a fee of around £60million for his services – a price tag which could dictate his future.
It is believed Guehi’s recent England breakthrough has meant Palace have hiked his price and are now asking for top dollar.
The Chelsea academy product made his Three Lions debut in March 2022 and has gone on to make four appearances for Gareth Southgate’s side – including in last month’s qualifier win over Malta.
Guehi missed just one of Crystal Palace’s Premier League fixtures last term and even captained the side on various occasions despite his tender age.
He has recorded 82 appearances in a Palace shirt since joining the club from Chelsea for a reported £20million in 2021.
The Ivory Coast-born defender earns a reported £50,000-a-week on a contract which is set to run until June 2026.
Guehi is just one of the names on Newcastle’s shortlist as they vie to upgrade their defence this summer.
Football Insider revealed on Monday (3 July) that the Magpies are also exploring a potential summer move for Sporting CP defender Goncalo Inacio.
Inacio has a release clause in his contract worth €60million (£51.5million).
In other news, big update on Newcastle target Kieran Tierney.