Sources: Pivotal Leeds January signings update after Bielsa holds talks
Leeds United have told Marcelo Bielsa he can only make loan signings in January due to financial fair play restrictions, Football Insider can exclusively reveal.
This site broke the news on 18 December that United are planning to recruit two new midfielders this month after ripping up their original plans.
But a Leeds source has told Football Insider that the club will not be able to make any permanent signings this month and that has been made clear to the manager during talks.
They are severely limited due to the lack of finance at Elland Road.
The source explained that Leeds are currently right on the limit of FFP and cannot afford to spend big on any permanent deals without major outgoings.
That will be a major blow to the club’s supporters, who have seen their team struggle in their second season back in the Premier League following a hugely encouraging debut campaign.
Get Exclusive transfers news at Football Insider's YouTube TV channel
Bielsa prefers to operate a small squad by top-flight standards and it has been decimated at times by serious injuries, most notably to key stars Kalvin Phillips, Patrick Bamford, Liam Cooper and Rodrigo.
Leeds have been particularly stretched in midfield and are actively scouring the market for reinforcements.
Director of football Victor Orta is laying the groundwork to bring in a number six defensive midfielder as well as an attacking number eight midfielder.
It appears any arrivals will now be on loan, or potentially loan-to-buy deals in which they have the potential to become permanent in the summer.
Leeds confirmed late last year (November 5) the San Fransisco 49ers have increased their stake in the club to 44 per cent.
The other 56 per cent is owned by chairman Andrea Radrizzani through his investment group Aser Ventures.
In other news, Leeds United lay the groundwork for two signings as new plans laid.