Sources: Sunderland could accept Middlesbrough bid for Ross Stewart
Middlesbrough are considering testing Sunderland’s resolve for prolific striker Ross Stewart, sources have told Football Insider.
Football Insider revealed on Monday (31 July) that Southampton have pulled out of the race for the 27-year-old and will pursue alternative targets this summer.
Stewart has attracted a lot of interest this summer – including from Premier League newcomers Luton and a host of Championship sides.
That is despite the Scotland international remaining out following Achilles surgery – a factor which may have put off some previously interested clubs.
He has just one year remaining on his contract at the Stadium of Light and no progress has been made in renewal talks, meaning his future is up in the air.
A well-placed source has told Football Insider that Sunderland are not willing to lose the striker for free next summer and could thus look to sell him in the final month of this window.
Stewart has proved to be a regular and capable goalscorer since joining the Black Cats in January 2021.
He managed 10 goals and three assists in 13 Championship games last season before picking up the season-ending injury in February.
The former St Mirren and Ross County hitman has averaged a goal every two games since joining Sunderland.
Middlesbrough, who share the Tees-Wear derby with the Black Cats, are on the hunt for a new striker to bolster their promotion push under Michael Carrick.
Loan star Cameron Archer has returned to parent club Aston Villa after netting 11 in 23 for Boro last term.