Sources: Tottenham opening talks on big-money Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg deal
Tottenham are opening talks on a new deal for Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, sources have told Football Insider.
The Denmark international, 27, is set to be offered a pay hike as well as an extension to his current deal, which expires in 2025.
Spurs are keen to secure the future of a player Antonio Conte regards as instrumental to his team.
It is expected Hojbjerg will climb into the second bracket of earners at Spurs if he can agree an improved contract.
His current deal, signed when he joined from Southampton for £15million in the summer of 2020, is said to be worth around £5million-a-year, or £95,000-a-week.
The best-paid players at Tottenham are Harry Kane, Son Heung-Min, Hugo Lloris and, more controversially, loaned-out record signing Tanguy Ndombele.
Click below for exclusive transfer news
Hojbjerg has only missed five of Conte’s 57 games in charge of Spurs and has started all but one of the club’s 14 league games this season ahead of Saturday’s (12 November) game against Leeds United.
The midfielder has also added goals to his game this season.
He has already bettered his three-goal haul from last year by bagging four so far this campaign.
The most recent of which was a last-gasp winner against Marseille on 1 November, a goal that secured Spurs’ place at the top of their Champions League group.
In total, Hojbjerg has made 121 appearances for Spurs, scoring nine goals.
He joined the club from Southampton after four years on the South Coast.