Sources: West Ham senior man ready to resign
West Ham recruitment chief Mario Husillos may resign after growing fed up of incessant criticism, Football Insider has learned.
The Argentine job as director of football is under threat as a result of a series of flop signings since he was appointed in the summer of 2018 on Manuel Pellegrini’s recommendation.
A West Ham source has told Football Insider that Husillos is weighing up whether to quit following what he feels is widespread criticism not only from supporters but also from within the club.
The 60-year-old is said of being tired of being blamed, including from members of the Hammers hierarchy, for signings that have not worked out.
The possibility of Husillos resigning would mean West Ham would not have to pay the termination fee needed to sack him.
He signed a three-year contract worth more than £1million-a-year when he joined shortly after Pellegrini was appointed in June of last year.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Criticism of the subsequent signings have reached fever pitch in recent weeks during a dreadful run of results that have left Pellegrini fighting for his job.
As reported by Football Insider, the West Ham board, as well as fuming supporters, are particularly unimpressed by the signings of goalkeeper Roberto Jimenez and creative midfielder Pablo Fornals.
Both deals have the fingerprints of Hussilos on them, as does the club-record £45m deal for Sebastien Haller, who was dropped by Pellegrini in favour of Michail Antonio to spearhead the attack last Saturday.
They expect Haller to eventually come good, but are ready to sell Jimenez at the first attempt in January and have serious doubts over whether £24m arrival Fornals can thrive at Premier League level.
Husillos joined West Ham after fulfilling the same role at Malaga, where he had previously worked with Pellegrini.