'Sunday League' - Chris Sutton destroys midfielder, claims worst Rangers signing in history
By Danny Wright
Former Parkhead striker Chris Sutton has dubbed Joey Barton as the worst signing in Rangers history after he belittled Celtic’s historic unbeaten run.
The Hoops broke a 100-year-old British record last week by going 63-games unbeaten in Scottish domestic football, but murmurs from south of the border have dismissed it as being an achievement due to the strength of opposition in the Premiership.
One of the loudest voices in terms of criticising the Bhoys is that of Barton, 35, who spent just a number of months with Rangers before he was booted of the club by then manager Mark Warburton.
Midfielder Barton, who is currently a free agent, made just eight appearances for the Light Blues with little impact and Sutton has blasted him for the only thing he was worth remembering for was how he was humiliated in his first ever Old Firm derby game.
“Barton undermines the achievement. Said he knew of Sunday League teams that have managed it,” said Sutton on the Daily Record website.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“Well the truth is Joey was arguably Rangers’ worst signing and was part of the 63-game record in probably the most memorable game where he was humiliated at Celtic Park by Scott Brown.
“He could have stopped the run but instead chooses to belittle the game north of the border and talk it down.
“Joey has had a decent career but couldn’t cut it on the pitch in the SPFL and was found out. He talked the talk but kidded nobody in Scottish football.
“The only thing Sunday League were his performances for Rangers.”
Barton returned to Burnley after his nightmare of a spell at Rangers that came to an end when he was involved in a training ground bust-up with Andy Halliday that resulted in a suspension from the club.
In April, Barton was banned for 18 months for admitting an FA charge for gambling and as a result was released by Burnley – the second time in a season he was sacked off.
The former Manchester City and Newcastle midfielder is still serving his ban – that was later reduced by five months – but is currently without a club.
It remains to be seen whether or not he will return to professional football after his suspension is served.