– A former news reporter who cut his teeth at the Shrewsbury Chronicle and Shropshire Star in the late 1990s before heading to the Big Smoke where he clocked up nearly a decade-and-a-half at Press Association, London Evening Standard and Goal, Wayne is the founder and editor of Football Insider. Loves a last-gasp comeback and believes the 2005 Champions League final was the greatest-ever football match. Can’t abide short corners. Or, Panenkas.
consistently productive, transfer market king Pete is the Jamie Vardy of football journalism. With a CV that includes lengthy spells with Sky Sports and ESPN, Pete has been breaking top-quality exclusives and leaving opponents trailing in his wake during his three years contributing to Football Insider.
– A sports journalism masters graduate from the University of Salford, Russell joined Football Insider back in March 2017. A Newcastle fan who is based a stone’s throw away from St James’ Park, he likes to numb the pain of being part of the Toon Army by watching every other sport possible. Still pines for Shay Given.
– A broadcast journalism masters graduate from the University of Salford, Dylan joined Football Insider in January 2020. A Liverpool fan based in the north-west who believes Dirk Kuyt is the greatest player to wear the red jersey, he gained experience at Sky Sports and talkSPORT prior to a lengthy spell at Deluxe Media.
– Connor is a sports journalism graduate from the University of Salford and joined the Football Insider team in August 2020. An East Yorkshire-based Preston North End fan who won’t hear a bad word said about Graham Alexander, he is used to travelling long distances to be disappointed.
Adam Williams – Adam joined Football Insider in December 2020 after establishing himself as a freelance football writer working in both print and digital journalism. He studied philosophy at Newcastle University, a subject which he says has helped him come to terms with Blackburn Rovers’ existentially draining performances over the years.
– Aston Villa legend Gabby Agbonlahor is a recent addition to the Football Insider team, having joined up in November 2020. The Villans’ all-time leading Premier League goalscorer is loving life as a pundit and has no problem riling up supporters with his views – watch out Leeds fans! One of the
most in-demand pundits at the moment, Gabby is also a regular on Sky Sports and talkSPORT.
– Former Tottenham and England striker Darren Bent joined the Football Insider squad in July 2019 and has delivered fantastic insight and brutally honest opinions ever since. One of the busiest men in football punditry, he is a
regular on Sky Sports and in 2020 started hosting his own show on talkSPORT.
– Former Leeds and Tottenham midfielder Michael Brown joined the Football Insider team in February 2020. He tackles life as a pundit much like he did his time a player – no-nonsense and straight-talking. He is also regularly seen and heard covering games for Sky Sports and BBC Radio 5 Live.
– Former Arsenal and Everton star Kevin Campbell is one of the newest members of the Football Insider team, having joined up in November 2020. Not afraid to speak his mind about his beloved Gunners – or any other team for that matter – he still has close ties in the game thanks to his son, the brilliant young Stoke City striker Tyrese Campbell.
Alan Hutton – Former Aston Villa, Rangers and Scotland defender Alan Hutton joined the Football Insider team in September 2019 – just months after leaving Villa Park. Having officially hung his boots in February 2020, the ‘Scottish Cafu’ delivers excellent insight and punditry on English and Scottish football – and even manages to give a balanced view on Celtic despite his Ibrox affiliations.
Kieran Maguire – Kieran joined the Football Insider squad in January 2021 and provides clarity for readers on the occasionally bewildering world of football finance. He is an author, university lecturer and all-round spreadsheet wiz. His 2020 book The Price of Football is a seminal work on the economic side of the beautiful game.
– Celtic and West Ham legend Frank McAvennie joined the Football Insider stable in June 2020 and has not disappointed with his own brand of unique punditry. He loves talking football almost as much as he loved scoring goals, and still has close links in the dressing room at Parkhead.
– Former Rangers, Aston Villa and Scotland manager Alex McLeish joined the Football Insider stable in September 2020 and has entertained and informed with his views and stories ever since. Revered by the Ibrox faithful after ‘Helicopter Sunday’, Big ‘Eck delivers fascinating insight from a manager’s perspective.
– Former Leeds, Manchester City and England full-back Danny Mills joined the Football Insider stable back in May 2019. The football pundit everyone loves to hate, he thrives on sparking debate and is not afraid to deliver unpopular opinions. Insightful and entertaining, he is well connected, too, and son Stanley is in the Everton youth set-up. Danny is a regular feature on both Sky Sports and talkSPORT.
– The only ever English winner of the European Golden Boot, former England striker Kevin Phillips joined the Football Insider team in January 2020. Having hung up his boots to coach at Leicester, Derby and Stoke, the Sunderland legend gives great insight from both a player and coach’s perspective – though he would love to get back on the training pitch.
– Former Tottenham, Leeds and England shot-stopper Paul Robinson arrived at Football Insider back in October 2019. Able to give a unique perspective as an ex-goalkeeper, he offers superb insight and is not afraid to speak his mind. Don’t expect him to rip into other shot-stoppers without very good reason, though – apparently you’re still part of the ‘goalkeeper’s union’ when you hang up your gloves.
– Former Leeds United, Coventry City, Middlesbrough and Aberdeen striker Noel Whelan joined the Football Insider team in early 2019. A boyhood fan of the Yorkshire giants, he has become part of the furniture at Elland Road and a firm fan favourite thanks to his passionate and unabashedly biased matchday coverage with BBC Radio Leeds. GET IN!