Tottenham midfielder Lucas Bergvall with Tottenham fans inset
Lucas Bergvall was poor against BrentfordImago

'I might get hate for this' - Tottenham fans destroy Lucas Bergvall after Brentford humiliation

Evan Lloyd

Correspondent AUTHORITY NCTJ-qualified football journalist with experience at VAVEL, Hayters TV, SPORTbible, and Centredevils. FOCUS Premier League analysis, tactical deep-dives, and original opinion content across Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Manchester City, and Celtic. THE INSIGHT Evan utilises a network of club and industry contacts to deliver verified, high-speed reporting. He provides specialist tactical and analytical content to ensure fans get beyond the headlines and understand the full picture.

Published on

Lucas Bergvall has faced significant criticism after Tottenham Hotspur were thumped 3-0 by Brentford in their Premier League season opener on Saturday.

The 20-year-old was hooked by Roberto De Zerbi at half-time after he had made a mistake in the build-up to Vitaly Janelt's goal.

Keane Lewis-Potter opened the scoring for the home side, with Michael Kayode adding a third in the second half to pile the misery on the North London side.

Bergvall had looked set to leave Tottenham earlier this summer and had asked to explore potential moves to Nottingham Forest or Newcastle United.

Both sides reportedly bid under £50million, with the Lilywhites said to be seeking a fee in the region of £60m.

Roberto De Zerbi has since confirmed that Bergvall will be staying put this summer, however, and backed his man by starting him on Saturday.

Tottenham fans destroy Lucas Bergvall

Bergvall had earned huge excitement during his first campaign after his 2024 move to North London, but last season saw him struggle.

The Sweden international dealt with injury problems and selection struggles, making just 33 appearances across all competitions.

Keen to develop, the 20-year-old was ready to push for a move away from Tottenham this summer but has clearly been persuaded to stay by De Zerbi.

After Saturday's display, however, many Tottenham fans have been left wishing that Bergvall had been sold after all.

One fan wrote: "I might get hate for this, [but we] should’ve sold Bergvall when we could."

Many other shared similar opinions, with another asking if Tottenham should have taken the money from Nottingham Forest.

Bergvall was caught out for the second goal, with his weak attempted challenge doing nothing to stop the Brentford shot that would lead to Janelt's rebound.

One Tottenham fan described the moment as "absolutely shocking" while another wrote: "I’m sorry but that is pathetic from Bergvall".

Tottenham midfielder Lucas Bergvall with Tottenham fans inset
Aston Villa odds slashed on agreeing Lucas Bergvall deal

What did Roberto De Zerbi say about Bergvall?

If Tottenham were to enact a sudden U-turn, Newcastle and Nottingham Forest could well reignite their interest in Bergvall.

The Italian was firm in his comments this week, however, and would be unlikely to go back on his word.

"Lucas Bergvall, 100 per cent [he is staying]. We spoke a lot in pre season," De Zerbi said.

"He’s a top player, a top potential player. I like that he stays but I think now he wants to stay and we have no problem.”

www.footballinsider247.com