Sources: Tottenham to listen to offers for Sanchez as Mendes lines up new centre-back
Tottenham will listen to offers for Davinson Sanchez this summer as Jose Mourinho plots multiple centre-back signings, Football Insider has learned.
The Spurs manager has identified central defence as the main priority for reinforcements in the upcoming window.
A Tottenham source has told Football Insider that Mourinho wants Sanchez, 24, to be replaced as he “can’t be trusted” in the big matches.
The Portugese believes the Londoners overpaid Ajax in the summer of 2017 to land the Colombia international for a then club-record fee rising up to £42million.
Sanchez has been a regular in defence during his four years at the club but his recklessness and lack of composure is said to infuriate Mourinho.
The centre-back was deemed by many to be unfortunate to have conceded the penalty in Sunday’s defeat to Arsenal that was won and converted by Alexandre Laczette.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Even former Fifa referee Keith Hackett told Football Insider there would have been a 60/40 split among refs on the penalty if they were gathered in a room and had to adjudicate on the call.
For Mourinho, Sanchez’s recovery pace and courage does not compensate for the other sides of his game.
There is also a feeling that the player has not improved as the club would have hoped in his four years at the club.
As revealed by Football Insider earlier this month, Mourinho’s agent Jorge Mendes will have a major say in the Tottenham summer recruitment drive and that includes lining up new centre-backs.
Spurs engaged in three Mendes-steered signings last year and the world’s most famous and active transfer facilitator is set to be even more hands-on in the upcoming window.
Sanchez is one of the three main centre-backs at Tottenham along with Toby Alderweireld and Eric Dier.
The Colombian has made less Premier League starts this season – 14 – than the other two although he has started the last seven matches in the competition.
Spurs signed Joe Rodon for £11m rising to £15m last October but he has made only five starts among nine appearances in all competitions.
In other news, Sir Alex cited as Mourinho faces three-game ban at Tottenham.