By Noel Whelan

19th Jun, 2021 | 4:00pm

Tottenham told they're 'losing one of the best in the world' after Ornstein's update

Tottenham hit a new low in their manager hunt by holding talks with Gennaro Gattuso, according to Noel Whelan.

The former Premier League striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, suggested Spurs had been forced to consider third-rate managers.

As reported by the Athletic’s David Ornstein on Friday (18th June), Spurs held talks with Gattuso but have decided not to offer him the post.

Spur reportedly saw discussions with Portuguese boss Paulo Fonseca fall through this week as well.

Whelan suggested Tottenham had worked through their first and second-choice candidates.

He insisted appointing someone like Gattuso would be a major risk for the Lilywhites.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

Whelan told Football Insider’s Russell Edge: “Where are they going with this manager search?

“You’ve got to have a bracket. It’s A, with your top managers, B, with your second-choice managers. It seems to me they’re going into bracket C of taking a chance on managers.

“This is a real sore point for Tottenham fans, that they can’t appoint the level of manager that club deserves.

“You’re not in the Champions League, you’re going to lose one of the best strikers in the world, you’re not going to be challenging for the Premier League. They’re selling points for Tottenham.

“That’s why they’re desperately looking to interview managers I would put in the B and C bracket. They’re unproven and are a question mark.”

Tottenham have now been without a manager for two months.

Ryan Mason took over as interim boss following Jose Mourinho’s sacking in April.

In other news, Harry Kane could lead a Tottenham exodus this summer, claims pundit.