Mark Warburton sends message to fans after Rangers boycott threat
By Dominic Toner
Rangers boss Mark Warburton has echoed the message from chairman Dave King that supporters should not boycott away games.
Some of the Rangers support have been considering avoiding away matches next season in the Premiership, due to how they were treated by rivals after the clubs financial collapse.
Warburton is convinced the absence of the club’s huge travelling support would have a detrimental effect on the team’s chances of winning.
He told the Daily Record: “The supporters were a huge factor for us last season. In one of the early cup games we had 11,500 fans on a Tuesday night at Kilmarnock.
“Their support really helped us and the players responded to it and they are well aware of it. I hope very much the problems can be overcome and we get the support we need.”
Click below for exclusive transfer news
He went on to reiterate that the club do not wish to forget the past but want to begin a “new era” after they secured promotion to the Scottish Premiership last season.
Rangers have risen up the Scottish footballing ladder since being dropped into the Third Division by the Scottish football chiefs in 2012.
The Ibrox side begin their new campaign at home to Hamilton on 6 August and their first away day will be a trip to Dundee the following week.
Fans will not have to wait too long for the much-anticipated first old-firm rival of the season, which takes place 10 September at Celtic.
Chairman King told Rangers’ website: “The Club wants to put the past behind us and I believe that other SPFL clubs feel likewise.
“Sometimes a strong Rangers away support can influence a match in our favour and I hope that those Rangers supporters that can afford to travel to away games will do so and support the team.”
Warburton has been busy in the transfer window so far, with the notable additions of Joey Barton and Niko Kranjcar showing the intent the club have for this upcoming season.