By Harvey Byrne
West Ham have reopened talks with Sporting Lisbon over a deal for midfielder William Carvalho, according to a report.
The Mirror have claimed on their website that the Hammers have reignited their interest in the 25-year-old after previously pulling the plug after the Portuguese giants turned down a £22million bid.
However, after the side’s 3-2 defeat against Southampton on Saturday it is now said that the east London club have reentered discussions over a “£30million deal.”
The reported fee would smash West Ham’s current club-record spend of Marko Arnautovic, who joined from Stoke for £25million earlier this summer.
Carvalho was previously considered one of Europe’s brightest talents and he has already played 156 times for the Sporting Lisbon first team alongside being capped 37 times at international level for Portugal.
Now, the player who has three years remaining on his contract in Lisbon could be about to make his move to the English Premier League with West Ham.
Football Insider verdict:
Carvalho would be a very good signing for West Ham, but then previously was said of both Arnautovic and Javier Hernandez, but so far under Slaven Bilic the club have struggled to make any progression in the Premier League. Now, that means while the midfielder would certainly take West Ham up to the next level under many other managers, it is not necessarily a guarantee under Bilic. The Croatian must turn results around quickly before the pressure starts to build on his position in east London and if he is allowed to splash out £30million for Carvalho then he must start getting results on the pitch quickly.
In other West Ham transfer news, this Hammers attacker is favouring a move to Premier League rivals.