Agent: Announcement about reported Everton target in the next few days
By Tom Blackburn
Kalidou Koulibaly’s agent has revealed there will be an announcement about the defender’s future in the coming days amid interest from Chelsea and Everton.
Ronald Koeman’s side have been strongly linked this summer with Koulibaly but the London Evening Standard claimed on Tuesday that the Senegal international is Chelsea’s first choice as they bid to strengthen their defence ahead of the new season.
The Napoli defender’s agent Bruno Satin has now revealed that his client’s future will be decided imminently.
“Our discussions at the moment are confidential,” Satin told Goal.com. “We will be able to announce something in the next few days, two or three days.”
The Evening Standard report claimed Chelsea had had a £42million rejected – made up of £37million plus £5million of add-ons.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
But it is said that the Londoners have not given up the chase and will offer an improved deal to Koulibaly, who has made it clear to Napoli that he is not interested in signing a new contract.
It was reported by Sport Italia television expert Ifredo Pedulla on his website last month that Everton had tabled a stunning £46million bid for the 25-year-old centre-back.
Koulibaly would become the most expensive signing in Everton’s history if the reported offer was accepted, comfortably surpassing £28million record signing Romelu Lukaku.
Koulibaly has been at Napoli for two years since joining from Metz for £6.5million, and has now played 60 times in Serie A.
The defender played 33 times in the Italian top flight in the 2015-16 season as Napoli finished nine points behind Juventus in second.
Manchester City completed the signing of from Everton John Stones for a reported £47.5million early on Tuesday, and, in turn, Sky Sports claimed on their transfer centre blog Everton are closing in on Ashley Williams.
The Mail claim Everton are also in advanced talks to sign Sunderland centre-back Lamina Kone, who was seen posing with a fan after travelling down to Merseyside in anticipation of a deal being agreed on Monday.
Ronald Koeman has been active in his search for players since arriving at Goodison Park this summer, but has been unsuccessful in the hunt for the likes of Graziano Pelle and more recently Axel Witsel.
In other Everton news, a Sky reporter claims the Toffees are hours from completing new signing for £9million.