Celtic tipped to seal Wyke deal after multi-million pound reveal - pundit
Gabby Agbonlahor has told Celtic to complete a deal for Charlie Wyke.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Aston Villa and England forward insisted Ange Postecoglou needs to freshen up his squad soon.
Football Insider reported on 25 June that Wyke wants a four-year deal with Celtic that will double his Sunderland wages.
The Englishman is also looking to secure a seven-figure signing-on fee.
Wyke is out of contract with Sunderland later this week but was offered a new deal.
Football Insider revealed earlier this month (16 June) the 28-year-old was “very keen” on a move to Celtic.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
New manager Postecoglou revealed in his first press conference on 25 June, via BBC Sport, there is an “urgency” to fill certain positions.
That could well include the striker role with Odsonne Edouard expected to leave and Leigh Griffiths yet to sign a new contract.
Asked whether a deal for Wyke should be prioritised, Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley: “I think so, yes.
“They need to get players in ready for the new season. They’ve got a lot of making up to do.
“I definitely think they will because they need players in. They’re struggling at the moment.
“That team and squad need a hand, and a top striker is a necessity. Wyke could be a top signing and I can see it happening.”
Celtic are set to begin their season with the first leg of their Champions League qualifier with FC Midtjylland on 20 July at Parkhead.
They began pre-season training last Thursday but Postecoglou does not have his full squad to work with as many enjoy an extended break after featuring for the national teams.