Chelsea told to complete Wesley Fofana deal as terms reportedly agreed - pundit
Noel Whelan has backed Chelsea to turn attention to signing Wesley Fofana after missing out on Barcelona new boy Jules Kounde.
The former Leeds striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, warned the Blues of their “slim options” to add centre-backs in the remainder of the summer window.
According to French journalist Ignazio Genuardi (27 July), Chelsea have already agreed personal terms with Fofana, 21, but have seen their opening offer rejected by Leicester.
The Daily Express claim (29 July) that the Foxes could hold out for a fee of £70million in order to part with the Frenchman.
Fofana has five years left to run on his Leicester contract after signing a bumper extension earlier this year.
Football Insider revealed on Thursday (28 July) that Brendan Rodgers’ side must sell players this summer before they can make any moves of their own in the window.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Whelan suggested Chelsea will have wanted to sign a more experienced option after losing Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen.
He told Football Insider‘s Ewan Kingsbury: “There’s no doubt that he’s got loads of talent.
“It’s not just Chelsea who have looked at him, I’m sure other sides have as well. He can read the game very well and is very comfortable on the ball as well for such a young age.
“This is one they’ve kept tabs on, even after his bad injury halted that progression – but we know the footballing brain is there.
“It’s a good alternative to Kounde, but at 21 perhaps he is a little bit younger than they were hoping for.
“Kounde has a bit more experience at the top level – but they’ve got a really slim bunch of options now.”