Chelsea insiders reveal Enzo Fernandez to Man City latest after 'deadline' twist
Enzo Fernandez's Chelsea future is going to be a major talking point right up until the closure of the summer transfer window.
Rumours could have been a huge distraction during the 2026 World Cup, and it may well have been, as he was sent off in the final against Spain.
Manchester City have been linked with a move for the 25-year-old ever since Enzo Maresca was appointed, thanks to their connections at Stamford Bridge.
The Blues had set a 5pm deadline on Friday, 14 August, however, and that has now passed, suggesting that any transfer is now off the table.
Many supporters are refusing to believe that Xabi Alonso's side would simply not consider selling if a huge £120million bid came in, though.
As previously stated, this transfer saga is likely to continue into the first couple weeks of the 2026-27 campaign, but he remains a Chelsea player for now.
Enzo Fernandez to Man City now off the cards
The hierarchy in West London would have hoped that the deadline passing would end any speculation. That has been far from the truth.
But sources have told the Daily Mail (19 August) that attention has turned to strengthening the squad, instead of selling the players they already have.
Cashing in on Fernandez now, while it would be a huge payday, would also leave the Blues with very little time to reinvest that money this summer.
Sources at Stamford Bridge now expect the Argentina international to remain at the club, though a move away can never really be ruled out.
Chelsea would have searched for a replacement had Fernandez left earlier in the window, with Bournemouth's Alex Scott said to be admired in West London.
Who could leave Chelsea in the final weeks?
Just because Chelsea set a final deadline for Fernandez's sale doesn't mean that several of his teammates won't be walking through the exit doors.
Liam Delap is gaining interest, while Emmanuel Emegha, Pedro Neto, Axel Disasi, Benoit Badiashile and Nicolas Jackson could all leave.
All of these players are on huge wages, and should some of them leave on loans, that would only be kicking the can further down the road, rather than fixing the problem.
Alonso's current squad is just far too big, likely meaning that some of the players are training individually. Fernandez isn't one of them, but his future remains up in the air as well.
