Confirmed: Liverpool open talks with Euro club over deal for 26-year-old
By Tom Blackburn
FC Sion have opened talks to sign Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli on a loan deal, it was confirmed on Wednesday.
Sion President Christian Constantin has revealed his side are chasing the Anfield outcast, shortly after Everton were approached about signing the Premier League flop.
“I can confirm we’re discussing a possible loan of Balotelli,” Christian Constantin told Swiss website Ticinonews.ch. “We’re progressing but I can’t say yet if the transfer will be successful.”
Italian broadcaster Sport Italia, as cited by website Football Italia, claimed on Tuesday that Balotelli has been offered to rivals Everton by his agent Mino Raiola.
It is said that Everton are keen on signing a new forward but are in advanced negotiations to sign Napoli spearhead Manolo Gabbiadini.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Balotelli is desperate to move away from Merseyside this summer, with manager Jurgen Klopp making it clear that there is no place for him in the first team set-up at Anfield.
He has been linked with a number of clubs over the past week, but despite plenty of interest no one has been able to to sign the Italy international.
Italian outlet Sport Mediaset claimed on Tuesday that Bologna were close to striking an agreement with Liverpool over a loan deal for the striker, while Gazzetta Dello Sport journalist Emanuele Giulianelli claimed on his personal Twitter account last week that Lazio were interested in the forward.
Lazio are seriously on Balotelli. Tare is reported in Liverpool to negotiate.
— Emanuele Giulianelli (@EmaGiulianelli) August 19, 2016
The former AC Milan forward joined the Reds in a £16million deal in August 2014.
Since his arrival at the club the 26-year-old has failed to live up to expectations, scoring just four goals in 28 appearances at the Merseyside outfit after being brought in to replace the departing Luis Suarez.
The former Inter Milan goal-scorer has returned to Melwood to train under Jurgen Klopp ahead of the new Premier League season but is now behind Daniel Sturridge, Divock Origi,Roberto Firmino and Danny Ings in the pecking order.
Nevertheless, he has some pedigree and a fine international record of 13 goals in 33 Italy appearances.
In other Everton transfer news, their former star with 101 caps has joined a new club after two years without a contract.