By Keith Hackett

1st Aug, 2022 | 1:23pm

Ex-Fifa official: Everton told 'action will be taken' as two controversial statements issued

Everton and the rest of the Premier League must know “action will be taken” against pitch invaders in 2022-23, according to Keith Hackett.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Fifa and Premier League referee delivered his verdict after the FA, Premier League and EFL launched new action against anti-social and criminal behaviours at stadiums.

The FA confirmed last month (25 July) that English football had come together to introduce new and stronger measures against behaviour like pitch invasions and the use of flares.

Everton released a statement of their own on Saturday (30 July) showing their support for the initiative after a number of fans entered the field of play after their friendly victory over Dynamo Kyiv the previous night.

The FA charged the Toffees last month (11 July) for two breaches of rules surrounding pitch invasions following incidents during their win over Crystal Palace (19 May).

“What I like about it all [the new measures] is that they are making it very clear that action will be taken,” Hackett told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“This is a criminal offence, this is the law of the land about spectators coming onto the field of play. As a consequence of that, the FA are taking into account the safety of players and that is equally as important.

“Anything that the FA and the Premier League can do to prevent spectators coming onto the field of play, flares being thrown and objects being thrown is good.

“Let’s start the season with no incents and let fans behave in a sensible manner.”

In other news, Kieran Maguire has been left “amazed” as Farhad Moshiri could now pull an Everton U-turn.