New behind-the-scenes conflict at Tottenham after Lo Celso update - pundit
Noel Whelan has insisted Tottenham will again attempt to stop Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero from linking up with Argentina.
The former Leeds striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, said it was Spurs’ “right” to prevent the pair from travelling to far-flung locations.
Midfielder Lo Celso and defender Romero are both part of Argentina manager Lionel Scaloni’s confirmed squad to face Paraguay, Uruguay and Peru next week.
Earlier this month, the pair reportedly defied Tottenham and travelled to South America without permission to play for Argentina.
They are said to have received “hefty fines” from the club.
Lo Celso and Romero missed the humbling 3-0 away defeat against Crystal Palace on September 11 through quarantine.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Players are expected to miss a similar period in October when joining international sides in red-listed countries next week.
Whelan claimed the duo could be putting their teammates and backroom staff at risk by travelling.
“I think if the club does stand in their way, it’s their right,” he told Football Insider‘s Ewan Kingsbury.
“Every player will want to play for their international side, but Tottenham will not want them to go, as we saw last time – and I get that.
“The pandemic is still around, and you have to protect the players and staff.
“If they go, then they will be missing two star players.
“They need those two around at the moment because the chips are down and they can help the team get out of this bad situation and turn their form around.”
Romero was a summer signing for the north London club, having joined on an initial loan deal from Atalanta.
Lo Celso has made just one league start this season under new Tottenham boss Nuno Espirito Santo.
In other news, pundit urges Spurs to make U-turn on star.