Sheffield Wednesday have rejected a number of bids from Championship rivals Brentford for midfielder Barry Bannan, Football Insider understands.
The 30-year-old has entered the final year of his contract at Hillsborough and the Bees had hoped to persuade Garry Monk’s men to cash in ahead of Friday’s domestic transfer deadline.
A recruitment source has told Football Insider that Brentford had bids of £1.25million and £1.5million rejected by Sheffield Wednesday for the Scotland international and that the Bees have been informed he is not for sale.
Brentford boss Thomas Franks was hoping to land the Scottish playmaker in a bid to bolster his squad with proven Championship experience ahead of a push for promotion.
However, Wednesday manager Monk sees Bannan as a key man in his plans and knows his experience and guile will be vital to his side’s chances of overturning their points deduction and staying up this season.
The 30-year-old, who has been named club captain, has established himself as a big fan’s favourite at Wednesday since his arrival in 2015 from Crystal Palace and has made over 200 appearances for the Owls.
Brentford have money to spend before the close of the transfer window after selling Ollie Watkins to Aston Villa earlier this summer and with Said Benrahma on the verge of a move to West Ham United.
However, it remains to be seen if the Bees come back with another offer for Bannan or move their attentions to another transfer target.
In other Championship news, Derby County have set their sights on a last-gasp deal for Crystal Palace striker.