EXCLUSIVE By Wayne Veysey
Tottenham are preparing a mammoth £100million offer to seal the signing of Giovani Lo Celso from Real Betis this summer, Football Insider can reveal.
The Champions League runners-up are in talks to prise the Argentine international from Spain and are ready to match their huge outlay on Tanguy Ndombele, who became their record signing earlier this week.
A source with knowledge of Tottenham’s recruitment has told Football Insider the club will offer a bid worth £60million including add-ons for Lo Celso as well as a salary package worth a minimum £150,000-a-week over five years.
Spurs having growing confidence they can make Lo Celso their second marquee signing of the summer after smashing their previous £42million record to sign Ndombele for £54million plus £9million of add-ons on Tuesday.
The Londoners face competition for the 23-year-old’s signature from Atletico Madrid and Manchester United, but are currently in the driving seat to get him.
As revealed by Football Insider earlier this week, Lo Celso has told friends he is eager to move to the Premier League and join Spurs.
Chairman Daniel Levy is leading the negotiations once again as Tottenham look to make up for two fallow transfer windows with another huge statement of intent.
Mauricio Pochettino has made it clear behind the scenes that he regards Lo Celso as a top quality player who can replicate his outstanding form last season in the Premier League and Champions League.
The 18-times international took his game to a new level last season with 16 goals and six assists from 45 matches in all competitions, with nearly all of those coming in the key La Liga and Europa League competitions.
He is currently competing for Argentina in the Copa America, with the team set for a third-place play-off against Chile today after losing their semi-final to Brazil.
In other Spurs news, Darren Bent has claimed to Football Insider that Mauricio Pochettino has a new forward signing “up his sleeve” in dramatic development.