
Harry Maguire ‘shocked’ by decision in Thomas Tuchel’s final England squad for World Cup
Harry Maguire is set to be left out of England’s squad for the upcoming 2026 World Cup.
Thomas Tuchel is expected to announce the Three Lions team on Friday, with the manager finding no room for the Manchester United centre-back.
The 33-year-old had been a mainstay in the England squad for years under Gareth Southgate, but had missed Euro 2024 due to a calf injury.
Now, despite Maguire featuring twice under Tuchel in 2026, he is now set to miss out on the upcoming World Cup in the USA, Mexico and Canada.
The defender is said to be shocked by the news after he played a crucial role at Man United as they qualified for Champions League football this season.
⚽ Man United Matchday ⚽
Team news, line-ups, expert previews and tactical analysis for every Manchester United fixture.
VISIT THE MATCH HUBHarry Maguire set to miss out on World Cup spot
This information is coming from Alex Crook via X on 21 May, who has reported that Maguire is gutted and shocked by the decision.
The defender is one of the Three Lions’ most experienced internationals, having picked up 66 caps to date and has played in three major tournaments.
EXC: Harry Maguire not in the England squad. Told he’s gutted and shocked @talkSPORT
— Alex Crook ⚽️🎙 (@alex_crook) May 21, 2026
It is unknown who will be taking Maguire’s place in the squad, with the centre-back previously playing in both of England’s last two fixtures against Uruguay and Japan, where he started in the former.
It remains to be seen if Maguire is able to force his way back into the team after the tournament.
Should Maguire have made the England squad?
Former Man United chief scout Mick Brown exclusively told Football Insider that Maguire should be “guaranteed” a spot in the squad based on his experience alone.
Tuchel confessed back in March that the defender was unlikely to be part of his World Cup squad, and this now looks set to become a reality.
Brown believes that Maguire is within his rights to be “fuming” over the situation, especially after he took part in the recent Three Lions fixtures.
This news comes after the defender just signed a new contract at Man United to further extend his stay at Old Trafford.
It remains to be seen if Tuchel will come to regret this decision over the summer, or if the former Chelsea boss has made the right call regarding Maguire’s place in the World Cup squad.
Don’t Miss a Beat: Your Man United Insider Access
Get the full story from Old Trafford and Carrington with our dedicated expert hubs:
Updated 24/7 with expert analysis from the heart of Old Trafford.