Paul Robinson has blasted Jose Mourinho for selecting Jan Vertonghen ahead of Ryan Sessegnon at wing-back for Tottenham. 

The former White Hart Lane number one, speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs, was baffled Sessegnon did not play in the 1-1 draw at Burnley.

Vertonghen, 32, started on the left-hand side of a back five for Spurs on Saturday alongside Toby Aldeweireld, Eric Dier, Davinson Sanchez and, Japhet Tanganga.

A second-half penalty from Dele Alli canceled out Chris Wood’s opener as the game finished all-level at Turf Moor.

When asked for his assessment of Mourinho’s team selection for the score draw, Robinson told Football Insider“I do not know how he wants to play. The formation and personnel is changing weekly which means the manager is not happy. He does not have a formula.

“He has been changing it to cope with the players that are missing but he is persisting with five at the back. I do not think Vertonghen at left wing-back is the answer, at all. You have got to have a player to do that role.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“Ben Davies was not in the squad but Sessegnon was so if you are going to play that style then he has to be playing. He played there at Fulham. You have to play more attack-minded wing-backs.”

Sessegnon, 19, has struggled since joining last summer in a £25million deal, only making 11 appearances so far this campaign.

He last featured in the Premier League on 22 January against Norwich City.

The result put another dent in the Lilywhites hopes of Champions League qualification with Chelsea and Manchester United both winning last weekend.

In the latest Tottenham news, Kevin Phillips has told Football Insider there could be a shock exit from Spurs this summer.