Frank McAvennie is adamant that Boli Bolingoli has played his last game for Celtic after the defender’s trip to Spain last week.
The former Hoops and St Mirren striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs, questioned why there was no system in place to prevent the 25-year-old from making such a “mistake”.
Bolingoli admitted that he played in Sunday’s match against Kilmarnock despite having recently returned from Spain without following the government’s quarantine guidelines.
Celtic Football Club statement
— Celtic Football Club (@CelticFC) August 11, 2020
Subsequently Celtic’s fixtures against St Mirren and Aberdeen have been postponed after First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon responded to the incident yesterday.
Bolingoli has made 29 appearances for the Hoops since he arrived from Rapid Vienna in the summer of 2019.
When asked by Football Insider for his assessment of the incident, McAvennie said:
“He will not play for Celtic again. We have seen him for the last time in a Celtic shirt.
“He has put his hands up but the fact that he went away and nobody knew about it. What kind of system was in place? He walked straight back into training. I do not understand. He should not have been on the bench, he should not have been anywhere near the squad.
“The boy has made the wrong move. If he came back and said: “Look gaffer, I made a mistake. I went to Spain and I need to isolate now.” That would have been bad. Lenny would have been annoyed but he would have got over it and kept it under wraps. This has been blown out of all proportions.”
When speaking on the incident, Neil Lennon said: “The club have been at the forefront of maintaining good practice in having the protocols all in place, trying to get the game up and running.
“We have been bitterly and sorely let down by the selfish actions of one individual.”
In other Celtic news, it can be REVEALED that the club are finalising new signing.