'He's more than welcome' - Bruce responds to reported Aston Villa interest in 34-time international
By Harvey Byrne
Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce has told that Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere is “more than welcome” to make the move to Villa Park following reported interest.
The Mirror claimed earlier in the week that the Midlands giants had made enquiries for the 25-year-old central midfielder in an ambitious move by the Championship club.
The report has understandably generated a load of interest from fans with many keen to see a player of Wilshere’s prestige join the club in a summer which has already seen Premier League legend John Terry join.
Now, Bruce told in his press conference on Friday, as covered by the Birmingham Mail that he does not know where the link has come from, but he has offered an invitation to the 34-time England international.
“I don’t know where that one came from. But if he wants to come and play here he’s more than welcome.”
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Wilshere’s career once saw him dubbed as England and Arsenal’s greatest talent, but injuries have so far prevented him from reaching that potential.
Last season saw him spend the entirety of the 2016-17 campaign on loan on the south coast with Bournemouth in the Premier League, where he played 27 times in total before suffering a new calf injury at the end of the season.
He will now be seeking new first team opportunities in a World Cup year, but it is unlikely he will drop down to the Championship.
In other Aston Villa transfer news, this Villa forward has emerged as the number one target for a Championship club.