By Danny Wright

23rd Aug, 2017 | 7:53am

Leeds plot bid for international attacker wanted by PL clubs in January - reports

By Danny Wright

Leeds are planning to table an improved bid for Middlesbrough attacker Rudy Gestede, according to a report.

The Yorkshire Evening Post claims that the Whites failed with their initial £6million offer for the 28-year-old earlier this week but director of football Victor Orta is now said to be in the driving seat to try and strike up a deal with his former employers.

Middlesbrough only signed Benin international Gestede from Aston Villa in January and they could be looking to keep hold of him after he featured in all four of their opening Championship fixtures with him scoring one goal in the process.

However it is understood that the Whites could be looking to test Boro’s resolve with a second offer using the money that they have garnered from Chris Wood’s £15million switch to Burnley.

The Daily Mail reported that a host of Premier League clubs were in the hunt for Gestede in January ahead of his move to Middlesbrough with Crystal Palace and West Brom eyeing up the attacker.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

Leeds are also said to be on the verge of signing Jay-Roy Grot from NEC Nijmegen for £1.5million.

The Dutch striker, 19, is reportedly on his way to England to undergo a medical on Wednesday as Thomas Christiansen looks to make further improvements to his strike force.

Football Insider Verdict

Leeds need to try and find a striker who can get well over 20 goals this season following Wood’s exit, but it is doubtful that Gestede would be that man. It seems like a hurried decision to target the Benin international after Wood’s move to Burnley was completed. Gestede hasn’t been in the best of form in recent seasons and if anything one of the few good positives in a deal for him would be that it would be weakening Garry Monk’s squad slightly. Gestede had a miserable spell at Aston Villa and hasn’t really improved at the Riverside. £6million seemed like a lot to spend on him and now that they are asking for more, it is perhaps time that Leeds move on.

In other Leeds news, fans have offered their thoughts on Christiansen’s call to start this 21-year-old against Newport County.

We’ve launched a << BREAKING NEWS FEED>> exclusively for your club. ‘Like Us’ on Facebook by clicking here if you want 24/7 updates on all Leeds breaking news.