Man United told to stall Erik ten Hag contract talks after new reveal - pundit
Gabby Agbonlahor has insisted Man United should not rush into giving Erik ten Hag a new contract if new ownership is secured.
The former Aston Villa striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, claimed the Dutchman should only get renewed terms if he turns the Red Devils into title challengers again.
According to the Daily Mirror (18 March), Ten Hag will be handed a new Old Trafford contract regardless of who takes over the club – with his current deal running until 2025.
Football Insider updated on Friday (24 March) to reveal that four US-based finance groups have submitted proposals about investing in the club – in addition to the two confirmed bids already made.
Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s Ineos group and a Qatari coalition led by Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani have tabled offers of around £5billion for the Red Devils.
Ten Hag took the reigns at Old Trafford last summer (2022) and delivered the club’s first trophy since 2017 last month – beating Newcastle in the League Cup final.
Get Exclusive transfers news at Football Insider's YouTube TV channel
However, despite showing promise in the Premier League title race, Man United are now 19 points adrift of leaders Arsenal.
Agbonlahor told Football Insider’s Ewan Kingsbury: “I don’t understand the rush to give him a new deal.
“He’s just won his first trophy, they’ll be in the top four – why does that warrant a new deal? He’s got a decent amount of time left.
“If he gets Man United fighting for the Premier League title again then the contract will come. That’s where the bar needs to be set for the new owners.
“At the moment, I wouldn’t be committing to anything.”
In other news, Football Insider updates as Man United plot raid to sign “freak” wonderkid.