
Manchester City plan to accelerate Rodri contract talks after Real Madrid latest
Manchester City want to ramp up talks over a new contract with Rodri as Real Madrid wait in the wings to sign him this summer.
Rodri is nearing the final year of his City contract, and is yet to sign fresh terms despite reports stating that talks have been held in recent weeks.
He has struggled for form and fitness throughout this season and was not at his best as Pep Guardiola’s beat Chelsea to win the FA Cup on Saturday.
They still want him to stay long-term, and as I revealed on the latest edition of Football Insider’s Transfer Insider podcast, City will accelerate talks over a new deal before the summer transfer window opens.
Man City already want to sign replacements for Bernardo Silva and John Stones, so are not planning to lose Rodri despite serious interest from Real.
🔄 Man City Transfer Update 🔄
Breaking news on signings, elite targets, and contract news from the City Football Group boardroom.
VISIT THE TRANSFER HUBMan City want Rodri to agree a new contract ASAP
Rodri made headlines in March by admitting that he would not be able to turn down a move to Real, but insisted on Saturday that he is “not thinking much” about his future beyond the end of this season.
Sources have told Football Insider that Jose Mourinho will make Rodri a priority target as he returns to the Bernabeu, hence why City are keen to tie him down to a longer contract in the coming weeks.
| Appearances | 20 |
| Minutes played | 1423′ |
| Successful pass % | 90.3% |
| Chances created | 23 |
| Duels won % | 65.8% |
| Fouls won | 27 |
| Recoveries per 90 | 6.26 |
Speaking on the Transfer Insider podcast, I explained: “Man City ideally want to keep Rodri and I’m sure there will be further talks held to see if they can thrash out a new deal.
“Otherwise, if no new deal can be agreed, then that could potentially pave the way for a move to Madrid because City probably won’t want to run down his contract and potentially leave on a free.”
City will accept £60million offer for Omar Marmoush amid Aston Villa interest
Marmoush was handed a surprise start in City’s cup final clash, but was taken off at half-time after failing to make an impact on proceedings.
His form has improved in recent weeks, but the Egypt star will end the campaign on less than 10 league starts and could push to leave this summer.
Sources have told Football Insider that City want £60m for Marmoush as Aston Villa eye a move ahead of the next window.
Barcelona have also been credited with an interest in the 27-year-old, while Spurs were linked with his services last year too.
Don’t Miss a Beat: Your Man City Insider Access
Get the full story from the Etihad Stadium and CFA with our dedicated expert hubs:
Updated 24/7 with expert analysis from the Etihad Campus.