Man City ready to meet huge Enzo Fernandez asking price after two big deals agreed
Manchester City are ready to meet Chelsea's lofty asking price for Enzo Fernandez before the window closes, sources have told Football Insider.
The 25-year-old has been identified as a top target for Man City in the closing stages of the window, and they are now preparing to accelerate their efforts.
Chelsea have not ruled out letting the midfielder leave, but insist the price must be right, and are demanding a fee of £120million if they are to let him leave at this stage.
As I revealed on the latest edition of Football Insider's Transfer Insider podcast, the big-money sales of Rodri and Tijjani Reijnders have given City the funds to do a deal.
Rodri's move to Barcelona has triggered a chain reaction at the Etihad, with the addition of at least one midfielder now a priority for Maresca.
Despite having signed Elliot Anderson earlier in the window, more changes are being targeted, and the two major departures have set the wheels in motion for more arrivals.
Will Man City sign Enzo Fernandez this summer?
Football Insider revealed on 21 August that Man City are planning to accelerate their pursuit of Fernandez within days as they aim to get a deal over the line.
Negotiations between the two clubs are now expected to ramp up, there is growing optimism at the Etihad that a deal can be agreed which works for all parties.
Chelsea had set a £120million asking price on the midfielder in an attempt to deter any suitors, but with City having raised funds through sales, they are now well-placed to agree terms.
Speaking on the Transfer Insider podcast, I explained: "Man City are rebuilding that midfield, City with Bernardo Silva leaving in summer, Rodri's gone, Tijjani Reijnders has gone as well.
"Chelsea are open to selling Fernandez as well for the right price. That's why they had that price tag of £120 million and the deadline of last Friday, which was a bit crazy really.
"I think there's a willingness from Chelsea to sell Enzo Fernandez. Obviously the player is interested in a move away from Stamford Bridge as well.
"So look, I think now with City raising funds with the sale of Rodri and also the sale of Tijani Reijnders to the Saudi Pro League, they now have money to go there and strengthen the midfield."
Which other midfielders are on Man City's radar?
Despite plans to step up their pursuit in the coming days, Fernandez is not the only midfielder on Man City's radar, with the club assessing numerous options from across Europe.
Rodri's move to Barcelona has seen the club place more emphasis on that area of the pitch, with deeper-lying midfielders now being targeted alongside Fernandez.
That led to an enquiry about Crystal Palace star Adam Wharton, but former Man United chief scout Mick Brown told Football Insider that the Eagles are not willing to sell.
The England international's performances over the last two seasons have placed him high on Man City's list of targets as they aim to strengthen their midfield.
Man City remain keen, and have had scouts tracking his performances at Selhurst Park for multiple years now, but look set to miss out with Palace to demand a massive fee.

