Paul Robinson claims it is a “massive blow” for Liverpool to lose Diogo Jota to injury ahead of a busy festive period.
The former England number one, speaking to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs, said the number of first team regulars currently sidelined at Anfield is “incredible” ahead of Wednesday’s top-of-the-table clash against Tottenham.
The Athletic‘s James Pearce revealed that Jota, 24, would miss 12 matches as a result of the knee ligament damage he suffered in last week’s 1-1 draw with FC Midtjylland.
However, the club are said to be relieved with the results of his medical examination after initial fears that the winger would be ruled out for the remainder of the 2020/21 campaign.
Jota has been in electric form since arriving to Anfield from Wolves in the summer, scoring nine goals in 17 appearances across all competitions.
When asked by Football Insider for his thoughts on Pearce’s reveal that Jota would miss 12 matches, Robinson said: “It is a massive blow to add to a long list.
“It is incredible the amount of injuries Liverpool have been hit with this season, even though it is an unprecedented year.
“It is not just the number of injuries, it is the number of injuries to key players. Jurgen Klopp get’s Alisson back and then Jota gets injured.
“It is a very tough season for Liverpool injury-wise and I do not know what Jurgen Klopp has done to deserve this.”