By Noel Whelan

24th Oct, 2020 | 8:00pm

Pundit Exclusive: Everton sensation ruled out v Southampton is 'Massive Miss'

Richarlison will be a “massive miss” for Everton as he starts his three-game ban against Southampton, according to Noel Whelan.

The former Premier League striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider assistant editor Russell Edge, insists that Carlo Ancelotti will find it almost impossible to replace the Brazilian in attack.

The 23-year-old was sent off against Liverpool for a dangerous tackle on Thiago and will now sit the next three games out for the Toffees.

Ancelotti has also confirmed that James Rodriguez is a doubt against the Saints after the Colombian picked up an injury in the Merseyside derby.

Whelan admits that losing Richarlison alone is a bitter blow for Everton and that replacing both would be a mammoth task for the Italian boss.

“He’s been linking up with Calvert-Lewin well up front with his pace and power and that goal threat,” Whelan told Football Insider.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“He’s going to be a massive miss, whether Rodriguez makes the game, he’s 50/50 at the minute, there goes another creative player in the side so you’re then looking to the bench to fill these places in.

“Can they replace those two? Not really. They’re standout players, they’re marquee players for Carlo Ancelotti and they’ve been doing excellently this season so far. That goal threat has gone.

“He’s got a big problem without Richarlison.”

Richarlison has netted once and chipped in with a further two assists in the Premier League this season.

As well as Sunday’s match, the Brazil international is set to miss games against Newcastle and Manchester United.

In other Everton news, Duncan Ferguson is said to have played a huge role in one player’s transformation at Goodison Park.