Pundit issues Newcastle 'superstar' signing 'guarantee' after Telegraph update
Frank McAvennie has told Newcastle fans to ignore any transfer stories about signing “superstars”.
The former West Ham hitman, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, claims the Toon’s new owners will not be discussing transfers.
On paper, Newcastle are now one of the richest clubs on the planet after their Saudi-backed takeover was completed last week.
This has led to plenty of newspaper reports linking Newcastle with big-name stars from some of the top clubs in Europe.
On 9 October, The Telegraph claimed Newcastle will target tried and tested Premier League players who are nearing the end of their contracts.
However, McAvennie claims Newcastle’s new owners won’t be discussing transfers just yet and told fans to ignore paper talk.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“Listen, Newcastle aren’t going to sign the superstar,” McAvennie told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.
“That comes later. I have a big problem with this. The new owners barely have their feet under the table.
“But I’m reading reports about Barcelona players joining them. I guarantee you, there hasn’t been a single conversation about transfers.
“Newcastle need a manager and probably a director of football before that.
“Transfers won’t be on the agenda for weeks. I know it’s easy to get carried away and I don’t blame Newcastle fans at all.
“How can anyone print that this player or that player is a target? Who’s target is he?
“The owners? I tell you one thing, the owners will not be signing players without a manager in, not a chance.”
The Magpies remain winless in eight games this season.
They face Tottenham at St James’ Park on Sunday.