Pundit makes 'huge' Saint-Maximin claim after big-money Newcastle deal agreed
Frank McAvennie insists Joe Willock’s arrival at Newcastle United can’t come soon enough.
The former West Ham hitman, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, reacted to the latest on Willock’s future.
Earlier this morning (12th August), Football Insider broke the news that Willock is set to join Newcastle after agreeing to sign a 6-year contract.
Newcastle now hope to get the midfielder registered in time for Sunday’s Premier League clash against West Ham.
On 22nd May, Toon winger Allan Saint-Maximin told Stadium Astro that Newcastle need to show more ambition.
The winger name-dropped Willock and insisted he is the type of player Newcastle should be buying.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Saint-Maximin has been linked with a move away this summer and these quotes set alarm bells ringing for Toon fans.
McAvennie insists Willock’s arrival will be a boost to everyone associated with Newcastle and will help to keep key players at St James’ Park.
“It’s a huge boost to everyone,” McAvennie told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.
“It’s also a big indication of what the club wants to do going forward.
“I’m sure Bruce wants the deal done, the fans do as well. It doesn’t surprise me that the players want it done.
“That’s not just a Newcastle thing. It makes sense. You need to buy quality players to keep other players happy.
“The sooner he arrives the better. I know Newcastle fans don’t want to lose Saint-Maximin.
“Willock’s arrival can only be good news for Saint-Maximin, he’ll stay.”
Willock scored eight goals in 14 appearances while on loan at St James’ Park last season.
He remains incredibly popular with the Magpies faithful after his goals kept their club in the Premier League.