Pundit reveals what 'sources' have told him about Ndombele's 'issues' at Tottenham after Sky update
Noel Whelan has suggested behind-the-scenes-issues may be behind Tanguy Ndombele’s snub from the Tottenham squad to face Pacos de Ferreira.
The former Leeds striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, admitted the 24-year-old does not seem a good fit for Spurs.
As reported by Sky Sports (16th August), Ndombele has been left out of Spurs’ 25-man squad for their Europa Conference play-off tie on Thursday.
Right-back Serge Aurier has also been snubbed, although Harry Kane is included.
Ndombele did not feature in any of Spurs’ pre-season games and was absent for the 1-0 win over Manchester City.
Whelan insisted the France international had been a “problem” for Spurs since his signing.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
He suggested there may be undisclosed issues that led to his latest absence.
“Ndombele has been a bit of a problem from the time he got there,” Whelan told Football Insider’s Russell Edge.
“Even though he’s an exceptionally talented player, it just doesn’t seem to be the right fit for club and player since he arrived.
“I don’t know him as a person but I know from sources there’s been issues there with the club and managers that have been there with him.
“He struggled with discipline in lockdown when he should have been doing the right thing and he didn’t.
“I think there’s been a few issues there that you wouldn’t expect from a professional football player that costs you nearly £80million.”
As quoted by the Athletic, Nuno Espirito Santo claimed it is not “the right moment” for Ndombele to be selected.
He played 46 times across all competitions last season, with six goals to his name.