By Wayne Veysey

18th Nov, 2021 | 3:12pm

Sources: Rangers tell Van Bronckhorst his January transfer budget

Incoming Rangers manager Giovanni van Bronckhorst has been told he will have to sell to buy in the January window, Football Insider can exclusively reveal.

The Dutchman, 46, is close to being appointed the new Ibrox boss following successful talks with the hierarchy led by director of football Ross Wilson.

Ibrox sources have told Football Insider that Wilson has made clear to Van Bronckhorst that funds will be limited following relatively heavy spending in recent years.

The former Feyenoord manager has been told that any signings will have to be funded by potential exits.

This comes after Rangers announced a loss of £23.5million for last season in their recently-published accounts.

The deficit for the year to June 30, 2021 was more than £7.5m bigger than the 2019-20 campaign.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

Rangers are likely to have to cash in on one or a number of their leading players to clear some of their debts.

This comes at a time when the futures of many Rangers stars are shrouded in doubt following the exit of Steven Gerrard to Aston Villa.

The big spending Midlands outfit could potentially make moves for players favoured by Gerrard from his old club.

Ryan Kent and Glen Kamara are among those who have previously attracted interest from Villa, while the likes of Joe Aribo, Nathan Patterson, Alfredo Morelos and Connor Goldson have caught the eye of clubs south of the border.

David McCallum, Brian Gilmour, Jermain Defoe and Colin Stewart are currently in charge of the first team.

They could lead the side out in Sunday’s League Cup semi-final against Hibernian, before Van Bronckhorst takes to the dugout.

In other news, Rangers told they can land 25-year-old forward for £4m in January after offer knocked back.