Exclusive: Huge update on Leeds United pursuit of Ryan Kent
Ryan Kent has told Rangers he will snub new Leeds United overtures and remain at Ibrox this season, Football Insider understands.
The Premier League club had a bid worth up to £10m including add-ons rejected for the 23-year-old after making him one of their top winger targets.
A recruitment source has told Football Insider that Leeds are still keen on Kent but have been told he wants to stay at Rangers.
It is said by those close to the situation that the in-form attacker feels a “loyalty” to manager Steven Gerrard, who has showed great faith in him over the past three seasons.
Kent has developed into one of the outstanding players in the Scottish league and has begun the season in outstanding form.
Barring a late U-turn, his decision to snub a potential return down south is a huge boost to Rangers’ hopes of toppling Celtic.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Football Insider exclusively revealed last week that Kent has a £20million release clause in his contract.
That opened the door to a new bid from Leeds but they are now assessing alternative targets in the final days of the window.
Marcelo Bielsa is looking to add another winger to his United squad, as well as a number eight, before next Monday’s transfer deadline.
The Premier League outfit are closing in on Bayern Munich’s Michael Cuisance to fill the central midfield role, but are yet to reach an agreement for the wide man they want.
Former Liverpool star Kent has delivered a series of man-of-the-match displays in the new campaign and his nine matches have yielded four goals and three assists.