Report: Premier League rivals to hijack Everton move for £30m defender
By Harvey Byrne
Arsenal are interested in signing Juventus and Everton target Daniele Rugani this summer, according to a report.
Sky Italy expert Gianluca Di Marzio claims on his website that Arsenal are eyeing a move for the 21-year-old centre-back.
However, Football Insider reported on Monday that Juventus had already turned down a £30million bid from Everton for the youngster.
Di Marzio does claim that Juventus have no intention of selling the player, although with the added wealth of the Premier League and Everton the Toffees could still try and negotiate a deal for the highly-rated Italian.
It is understood that new Toffees boss Ronald Koeman is targeting a centre-back with John Stones expected to join Manchester City in a £50million deal and it is believed that Rugani is one of his top targets.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
The young defender, who has four-years left on his current contract, starred in 21 appearances for Juventus in all competitions last season as they won their 32nd league title.
Everton are said to be backing Koeman with a £100million transfer kitty and the Goodison Park boss is said to believe it is necessary to make significant changes to a squad that underachieved last season.
The Merseysiders are also looking at another centre-back from Italy and as reported on Football Insider the Toffees will hold talks with Napoli this week as they step up their bid to sign defender Kalidou Koulibaly.
In other Everton news, the Toffees are set to meet with Bordeaux to discuss signing striker Diego Rolan.