Revealed: Newcastle takeover update after fans meltdown over Jim White's claim today
The Newcastle United takeover is progressing smoothly and is on course to complete after fans were left fretting today by a shock Jim White claim today.
The veteran broadcasting and journalist claimed on talkSPORT that the Premier League has not even started conducting its owners and directors test into the Saudi Arabia-backed takeover.
This came three days after White reported on his radio programme that the takeover was “rumbling towards a conclusion” and he had been told “it will go through”.
"This is rumbling towards a conclusion and we'll know next week." ✅
"From what I gather, it will go through." 👍
— talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) May 21, 2020
The seeming about-turn from the Sky Sports News host prompted a meltdown among some Newcastle fans desperate to see a change of ownership and for the deeply unpopular Mike Ashley to sell his shareholding.
Football Insider has been told that the Premier League probe is complete but there is no announcement imminent over a takeover.
This comes after this site revealed last Monday that the takeover was set to be approved by the ruling body after a forensic investigation into allegations of illegal streaming involving the Saudi government and a homegrown pirate TV service.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
There is still exhaustive paperwork to be completed over the takeover – separate to the Premier League – and that is expected to extend into next week.
Hi @ChrisDHWaugh @GeorgeCaulkin Some fans are in a slight meltdown this morning after Jim White’s claims this morning. Can you Confirm if the PL have started the O+D tests? Personally i think they’ll have started straight away, just wanted your take on it 👍🏻
— Laura1892 #ThankYouNHS (@lspark89) May 25, 2020
CEO Richard Masters was tightlipped at the weekend in an interview with the BBC when quizzed about the takeover.
However, there is confidence among those at the centre of the £300million buyout of Ashley that everything will soon be finalised.
It also emerged at the weekend that talks have taken place between Newcastle city council and the would-be owners.
It is said that this includes contact between the Amanda Staveley-led consortium and executives at the council over how the club can be at the heart of civic life.
The consortium is a joint venture between Saudi Arabia’s public investment fund, the billionaire UK-based Reuben Brothers and Staveley’s PCP Partners.
PIF, which will buy 80 per cent of Ashley’s shares, is chaired by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman.
In other Newcastle United news, it can be REVEALED that a London club are plotting signing Magpies ace who has house next to their training ground.