Revealed: Norwich City respond to Fulham swoop for Ben Godfrey
Norwich City have rejected a move from Fulham for Ben Godfrey, Football Insider can exclusively reveal.
This site revealed on Monday morning that Cottagers have enquired about the 22-year-old Englishman as they look to land a new centre-back before the window shuts.
A Norwich source has told Football Insider that the club have told Fulham they do not want to let Godfrey go.
Only what has been described as a “crazy” offer from interested clubs would bring the Championship club to the negotiating table.
This comes at a tense time for Norwich amid doubts over a number of their star players in the final week of the window.
Todd Cantwell and Emi Buendia were both axed from the matchday squad for Sunday’s 1-0 defeat to Bournemouth as Daniel Farke delivered a stinging rebuke.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Godfrey is one of the prize assets at the club and has previously attracted interest from Premier League big guns Arsenal and Tottenham, who were keen on him in January.
He has three years remaining on the contract that he signed last summer and the club also have an option of a further 12 months.
Fulham have been keeping tabs on the three-times England Under-21 international but face competition from big-spending Everton.
Football Insider revealed earlier this month that Scott Parker’s side have also held talks with Huddersfield over re-signing Terence Kongolo.
Godfrey has established himself as a key player in Daniel Farke’s side after making huge progress since joining Norwich from York City in 2016.
He made 30 league starts last season and made a strong impression despite Norwich finishing bottom of the table.
In the new campaign, Godfrey has played the full 90 minutes of each of his club’s three Championship matches.