'Sign of desperation' - Exclusive: Darren Bent blasts Leeds man after official statement
Darren Bent has torn into the behaviour of Leeds United director of football Victor Orta after he picked up a stadium ban.
The former Aston Villa and England striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider assistant editor Russell Edge, says that the senior figure’s actions reek of desperation after a poor run of form for the Whites.
The Football Association confirmed on Thursday that the Spaniard had been handed a one-game suspension, as well as a fine, for his behaviour at half-time in the win over Millwall.
[2/3] Victor Orta admitted that his language and/or behaviour in the tunnel area at half time amounted to improper conduct and James Mooney admitted that his behaviour during a separate incident in the tunnel area at half time also amounted to improper conduct.
— FA Spokesperson (@FAspokesperson) February 6, 2020
The incident in question took place when Leeds were losing 2-0 to the Lions at Elland Road, with Marcelo Bielsa’s men coming back to win 3-2 thanks to a brace from Patrick Bamford and another goal from Pablo Hernandez.
Bent says that the likes of Orta should set the standard of behaviour at the club and suggests that tensions are boiling over at Elland Road.
“It’s a sign of desperation, they should hold themselves up to a higher standard,” Bent told Football Insider.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“Unfortunately at times, it’s one of those things where emotions gets the best of you. They should have higher standards than the team usually do.”
Orta, who spent time at Championship rivals Middlesbrough in the same role, has been at Leeds since owner Andrea Radrizzani appointed him back in 2017.
The Whites, who are sitting behind front runners West Brom in the second-tier table, suffered their fourth defeat in five games on Saturday evening in a 2-0 loss against Nottingham Forest.
In other Leeds United news, Noel Whelan says he was blown away by a “remarkable” sight this week.