By Russell Edge
The pundits at Sky Sports have questioned how Newcastle United’s DeAndre Yedlin managed to remain on the pitch during their 2-2 draw with Southampton on Sunday.
The American international defender was shown a yellow card in the first half for dissent, before taking out winger Nathan Redmond with a crunching tackle which appeared to miss the ball completely.
It was a major flashpoint in the match, with over half an hour yet to play and the Southampton players and supporters both baying for the 24-year-old to be handed his marching orders.
Referee Kevin Friend spoke to both Yedlin and Newcastle captain Jamaal Lascelles after the incident but much to the surprise of the Saints’ fans failed to produce a second yellow card.
Analysing the incident after the match on Sky Sports, former Newcastle and Southampton boss Alan Pardew and regular pundit Jamie Redknapp both said that he had deserved to have received a red.
Speaking on Sky Sports’ Super Sunday (15/10, 18:00), Pardew said: “I can’t understand how he stayed on the pitch.
“At the time the fans knew he had been booked and it looked like he was going off.
“The referee is buying himself time as he has not seen it, that is what he is doing. The linesman has not helped him and he is thinking ‘I’m not sure, let him go’.”
As for Redknapp, he believes that it was a rash decision from Yedlin to have committed to such a tackle knowing he has already received a caution.
He also believes that Rafael Benitez would have been going mad at the American’s decision, which could have ended up costing his side more.
“As a manager, you are questioning why on earth is he making that decision to make that challenge and go to ground in the first place, when you have already been booked,” Redknapp told Sky Sports’ Super Sunday.
“You cannot go to ground like that, once you have been booked you have to go there, work your feet, be tight.
“Do not make a challenge like that, because it will cost your team and you will end up with 10 men.”
Having avoided a booking, Yedlin, who has started the last four games for Newcastle, will be available for the club’s clash with Crystal Palace at St James’ Park next weekend.
In other Newcastle United news, Rafa Benitez has confirmed this potentially major blow after the 2-2 draw.